[CentOS] NFS v4

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 08:32:04 UTC 2007

On 06/06/07, Francois Caen <frcaen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Do you guys use NFS v4 in production? Is the Linux implementation ready enough?
>
> The feeling I'm getting by looking at RH doc and other web sites is
> that v4 was added in a hurry and is not mainstream yet. I don't want
> to use something too cutting edge that will break down the road. Is
> that the case?
>
> In my case, it would be a CentOS5 server with CentOS4 client.

I tried implementing it a year/18 months or so back for an NFS mounted
Qmail mailstore for around 8000 accounts.

NFS v2/3 had been running fine off an FC-based server for a few years
but we wanted to standardise on CentOS 4. During the migration I
managed to get NFSv4 working to my satisfaction and rudimentary load
tests all seemed fine.

Under real user load though it just fell on its arse very quickly and
a quick fall back to v3 was implemented. Maybe the EL5 implementation
behaves better?

Will.