[CentOS] Fedora Directory Authentication on CentOS 5

first last prelude_2_murder at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 6 10:44:45 UTC 2007

> > I am trying to set up a Fedora Directory server for centralised
> > authentication.
> >
> > I configure the directory server, add a user called (via the Java
> GUI)
> > test and then, using system-config-authentication, enable LDAP on
> both
> > tabs. I then try to log-in using the test account I set up on the
> > directory, but I get an error message in /var/log/messages:
> >
> > May 30 16:28:27 ds1 sshd(pam_unix)[4445]: check pass; user unknown
> > May 30 16:28:27 ds1 sshd(pam_unix)[4445]: authentication failure;
> > logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=localhost.localdomain
> >
> > which seems to indicate that it cannot find the user in the
> directory.
> > The server is accepting connections on the standard LDAP port.
> >
> > Am I missing anything?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Gabriel

> Just on a lark, check the contents of /etc/ldap.conf, the file the
> nss_ldap/pam_ldap stuff uses to identify the server.  I ran the
> system-config-authentication GUI on some CentOS 4.5 systems and they
> failed to change the contents of that file as appropriate.
>
> All I had to do was change the "host" and "base" entries to point to
> my
> server and it worked just fine.  I'm not sure if this is an isolated
> problem or a real, live bug, I'm going to test it further to see if I
>
> can tell.

I have checked the configuration and it is correct. The directory log
reports that the search does not find the uid for the user, which seems
to indicate that the error is not within CentOS, as it is passing the
right data via the ldap module.

I guess it is time to hit the fedora lists.

Thanks

Gabriel