[CentOS] procmail, and the care and feeding of mailing list content received

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Sun Jun 10 02:07:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Akemi Yagi wrote:

> Could you explain why you are going through killfile here?  For
> example, can't you just do:
>
> :0:
> * ^(From|Sender|Received):.*Perrin
> 	/dev/null

It _is_ certainly possible to do it all in one step, but I do
LOTS of marking (with the 'f' filter operator) in my procmail
rules [I have about 10,000 lines of procmailrc marking,
re-writes, redirects, and so forth], and it helps me to debug
matters this way, when I save up the actual drop to one place.

I actually will turn on logging markers around a rule when I
am 'tuneing' it up (procmail rules are not quite regex's and I
still consult the man pages, after probably a decade building
my ruleset).  For the mailing list, I simplified my example,
as in production, the marking for a killfile and the actual
drop are done in differing files.

from my ~/.procmailrc:

#       at the start, whitelist certain senders
#       and RPH personal stuff
#
INCLUDERC=$HOME/.procmail/friendbrandrc
# LOG="after friendbrandrc
# "
INCLUDERC=$HOME/.procmail/logbrandrc
# LOG="after logbrandrc
# "
INCLUDERC=$HOME/.procmail/clientbrandrc
# LOG="after clientbrandrc
# "

I have fuzzed the names of some of the rules for some rules.

[herrold at new herrold]$ wc .procmailrc ; cd .procmail ; wc -l  *rc
     758    2418   17979 .procmailrc
     164 antispamrc
     140 bugzillarc
      18 caosityrc