[CentOS] Selinux custom policy issue - Centos 5

Miskell, Craig

Craig.Miskell at agresearch.co.nz
Tue Jun 12 00:24:59 UTC 2007

Hi,
	I've got a Centos 5 box (recently replaced a Centos4 box of the
same function).  The means of applying custom SELinux policy has changed
somewhat from 4->5.  I've got it mostly figured out; I have a local.te
file with my custom policy and also which defines a few new file types,
and a local.fc with appropriate defintions of file contexts.  When I
run:
# checkmodule -M -m -o local.mod local.te
# semodule_package -o local.pp -m local.mod
# semodule -i local.pp
(all in /usr/share/selinux/targeted), the policy gets installed and
works properly.  However, I can't then use fixfiles or the like to set
the custom file contexts (my custom file contexts aren't installed in
the main policy). I can apply them manually with chcon, but that's icky
and not "The One True Way(tm)".

So, if I do:
# checkmodule -M -m -o local.mod local.te
# semodule_package -o local.pp -m local.mod -f local.fc
# semodule -i local.pp

I get the following output:
libsepol.context_from_record: MLS is enabled, but no MLS context found
libsepol.context_from_record: could not create context structure
libsepol.context_from_string: could not create context structure
libsepol.sepol_context_to_sid: could not convert
system_u:object_r:file_upload_store_t to sid
/etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/files/file_contexts:  line 537 has
invalid context system_u:object_r:file_upload_store_t
libsemanage.semanage_install_active: setfiles returned error code 1.

Where file_upload_store_t is one of my custom types.  My local.fc looks
like this:
/data/spool/blastreq(/.*)?            system_u:object_r:blast_req_t
/data/spool/blastres(/.*)?            system_u:object_r:blast_res_t
/data/upload(/.*)?
system_u:object_r:file_upload_store_t
/data/bfiles(/.*)?                    system_u:object_r:bfiles_t
/var/www/possumbase/html/imagetemp(/.*)?
system_u:object_r:http_image_temp_t
/var/www/sheep/html/imagetemp(/.*)?
system_u:object_r:http_image_temp_t

And my local.te contains (selected portions only for now):
module local 1.1;

require {
 <various normal requires>
}
type blast_req_t,file_type;
allow httpd_sys_script_t blast_req_t:file { create getattr write};
allow httpd_sys_script_t blast_req_t:dir { read getattr lock search
ioctl add_name write };
...etc

So, looks like I need to do something else, possibly in my local.fc.
However, my google-fu is not strong enough to find any actual examples
of successful custom file context type creation/installation using
selinux modules.

I suspect something simple, but haven't a clue what it is.  Anyone got
any idea what I need to do different?

Thanks,
Craig Miskell

NB: To avoid the whole flamewar: "Turn off SELinux" is not a useful
answer in this case ;-)

Craig Miskell,
Technical Support,
AgResearch Invermay
03 489-9279
"I think that if I ever put a *nix distribution together, the mailer's
installation
will include several pieces of spam in the initial mail spool."
	-- Chris Reuter
sender immediately.