[CentOS] Re: Firefox and Thunderbird 2.0, Centos 5, and rpms

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Jun 15 07:48:38 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 11:37:52PM -0700, Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:
> > Or is Redhat correct that there is nothing improved here and wait
> > for 3.0?
>
> Sorry to jump in, but where is that you saw Red Hat saying "there is
> nothing _improved_ in FF2"?! I suppose RHEL5 doesn't have FF2 because
> "it's too new", but here is what I terribly miss while using FF1.5:
> -- saving the whole session, even when FF crashes (yes, FF _may_
> crash); it saves even the text you were writing in a textarea!
> -- spell-checking (extremely useful when you're not a native speaker).

I agree, I just upgrade to Fedora 7 which finally had FF2, and I
already enjoyed both features.

> But indeed is kinda shame that there isn't any 3rd party repo
> providing FF2 for EL5. (I don't expect EPEL to have it. because FC6
> was on FF1.5 too).

EPEL is not going to replace any RHEL packages. There was a longish
thread on whether Fedora Extras would provide FF2 as a parallel
install for FC5/6, but the FF mainatiner gave good reason for not
doing so (like the FF2 packages he would create being in an
incompatible upgrade path, FF and FF2 not being able to share configs
and the like). So in general it's a touch job for a 3rd party to
decide to do so, when even the base distribution is holding off.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net