[CentOS] Re: Trying to understand Suspend 2

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Jun 15 15:46:45 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 08:22:32AM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> >>http://www.atrpms.net/dist/el5/hibernate-suspend2/
> >>http://www.atrpms.net/dist/el5/kernel-suspend2/

> I ASSuME there is nothing there that is RH specific and can be used with
> Centos.  Afterall, I HAVE been doing this for madwifi...

Yes, it's all 100% CentOS compatible.

> Yeah, I gathered something is afoot.  I have 2.6.18-8.1.4.  But when I
> included the ATrpms repo, it was trying to install 2.6.20 something (or
> something similar).

Not on RHEL! Perhaps you accidentially used fc5 instead of el5? I had
some users that did that.

> >yum install madwifi madwifi-kmdl-`uname -r`
> >
> >If you want to do that before booting into the new kernel then replace
> >`uname -r` with the uname-r-to-be.
> >
> Now I am 'confused'.  is your first reference of  'uname -r' exactly
> what I am to enter?

No, with backticks `, not single quotation marks '

> Or is there something I am to put in its place even after a reboot?
> And what is 'uname -r' ????

Copy and paste the following in your terminal:

uname -r
echo This kernel\'s uname -r is: `uname -r`
echo A kmdl package for this kernel would be called: foo-kmdl-`uname -r`

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net