[CentOS] How to add to EPEL wishlist?

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Thu Jun 28 19:26:41 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 12:04:51PM -0700, Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:
> > You need a Wiki account (FAS):
> >
> >   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/WikiEditing#head-3d4b8815f923a8f137fb466901ca2cf1b567cf0f
> >
> > You can contact me if you like to get added to the EditGroup when
> > you've completed the process
>
> It was obvious that I would need an account, so I made one.
> It was less than obvious that it would be useless.
> It's only now that I've read the whole complexity of the process to
> be performed *before* someone could add you to the EditGroup -- it's
> so unbelievable for a poor civilian that I am that I feel like I am
> already at Gitmo!

Well, I agree with you there.  The process is a bit of a pain in the
butt, and perhaps not as clearly layed out as it could be.  Even when
you read the whole thing over a few times. :)

I would like to ask about streamlining the process to make it easier
for people to sign up.  Or you could feel free to do so.

  or #fedora-admin on irc.freenode.net

.. would both be good places to ask about making the process easier.

> Everyone knowing how a Bugzilla works, or even how a mailing list
> works, can easily find that much simpler ways were available to the
> public to be able to SUGGEST a few packages for inclusion in EPEL.

Agreed, and hopefully we can get FP to make an easier way to do this.
In the meantime, I would be happy to add your requested packages to the
list... perhaps a blurb on that page on who to contact to ask about
getting additional packages added would be useful?

> Now I know I can't expect for *anything* from EPEL. I can only rely
> on what's already there, plus what we can find in centosplus, Dag,
> Karan, ATrpms, and a few others.
> I am shocked.

I think you're being a little overly-dramatic :) but certainly this is
something that can and should be able to be fixed... I for one think
your comments would be valuable on the mailing list; I'm sure there are
others who would like to see the whole process strealined a lot.

Ray