[CentOS] centos 5 GFS/Cluster - configure fence using NIC?

Tue Jun 12 23:48:02 UTC 2007
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Karl R. Balsmeier wrote:
> How does one configure a fence device in the form of a NIC card in
> centos 5?  Is the gnbd item relevant to this?

I'm not sure what 'a fence device in the form of a NIC card' is.   the
fence devices I'm familiar with include SCSI fence switches,
fiberchannel SAN switches, and APC SmartPlug power switches.

in my test cluster, I used a Qlogic SANbox fiber switch to connect the
cluster nodes to the shared storage.    the fencing was done by sending
the Qlogic the commands to enable/disable the ports of the two nodes so
only the active node could access the shared storage.

I suppose an Ethernet analog in an ISCSI SAN environment would be to
send commands to a layer-2 or layer-3 managed switch to manipulate the
VLANs to disable the standby nodes from accessing the ISCSI target
device.   These systems would need separate dedicated NICs for LAN
connectivity and cluster heartbeats.