[CentOS] Re: empty /var/log/messages

Wed Jun 27 02:47:49 UTC 2007
beast <beast at ldap.or.id>

On 26/06/07 13:42 +0100, Seán O Sullivan wrote:
>>> I have one centos 4.0 server which /var/log/messages was always empty (0
>>> bytes). I wonder what has been blocking the syslog to write the log.
>>>

>> Firstly, I'd suggest updating to 4.5.

This is the production machine and has been runing for years, so upgrading OS
is not not my first option :)

>> Secondly, is /tmp mounted with noexec option?

No afaik.

root# mount | grep var
/dev/hda4 on /var type ext3 (rw)

>forgot to add, check /var/log/messages.* for current syslog messages

root# ls -l messages*
-rw-------  1 root root        0 Jun 25 11:11 messages
-rw-------  1 root root 32480831 Jun  3 00:04 messages.1.gz
-rw-------  1 root root 81601061 May 27 00:13 messages.2.gz
-rw-------  1 root root   905460 May 20 00:01 messages.3.gz
-rw-------  1 root root  1055604 May 13 00:01 messages.4.gz

Note: previous messages.gz was having gigantic size because recent bug in
spamassassin, it logs all spampd log thats why I disable it on the
syslog.conf. But after few days I notice that messages were always empty,
even I restart syslog and then mv and touch messages

root# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 4.0 (Final)

No auto update and I never run in manually.