[CentOS] Re: DVD rom questions

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Mar 1 17:25:01 UTC 2007

Steve Campbell spake the following on 3/1/2007 7:56 AM:
> I'm running CentOS 3 and have just installed a Liteon lightscribe DVD/CD
> unit. I firstly realized I didn't know exactly how to mount it, as
> /dev/dvd didn't exist, I didn't want to generate anything if it already
> existed, and I didn't want to mess up my cdrom unit that works just fine.
>
> I mounted the device though the X window just to see how it might mount,
> and find that it mounts /dev/cdrom1 on /mnt/cdrom1, regardless of what
> type media is in the drive. Does this sound proper? Should I mknod(?)
> something for the /dev/dvd device and if so, what should be the parms?
>
> I then tried to find a movie viewer on the machine, and only found
> mplayer. I couldn't get it to work properly due to the configuration
> options (not a very powerful machine). What does anyone use for a DVD
> viewer?
>
> And lastly, what are recommendations for implementing the lightscribe
> functions that exist on the drive?
>
> Any help is very graciously appreciated.
>
> Steve Campbell
> campbell at cnpapers.com
> Charleston Newspapers
/dev/cdrom(1) seems to be standard, but look at the dvd howto for help
( http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/DVD-Playback-HOWTO/ ).
I am not sure if CentOS will have any DVD playing capability without an
outside repo (licensing issues from RedHat).
Look at
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/redhat-fedora-linux-help/63953-how-play-dvds.html

As for the Lightscribe, http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10803

--