[CentOS] Virtualisation

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Thu Mar 1 18:31:34 UTC 2007

Risk management? Is this a home network or a business network?

> > How long did you have your existing configuration running before you
> > came to the conclusion you need to blow it away for a new one?
>
> My existing solution is well overdue for replacement; I only kept it
> so long because of hotswap IDE problems with the 2.6 kernel.  The new
> system is going to use USB drives instead for ofsite storage.
>
> > Doubt you even had it for a year. Biggest thing you can do for
>
> Umm.  Your should doubt your doubts :-)

OK, my bad you are currently on FC2 so you've been using Fedora Core
for a while now, but no longer get updates.

> My main workstation (also needs a rebuild, but that one will be a
> recent FC build because too many programs assume bleeding edge code
> versions already installed) is 2.5 years old.  The server in question
> is approaching 3 years old.  Neither are supported.  Both have known
> security issues.  My test box was rebuilt August last year
> (VMware testing
> on CentOS 4.4).  I rebuilt my linode from FC2 to Centos 4.4
> last month.

I tell you support for the 2.6.9 kernel with software that has kernel
drivers is starting to get weaker and weaker. I would wait to jump to
a 2.6.18 or 2.6.20+ kernel next so your setup stays as current for
the longest time possible.

> > yourself is to give yourself an honest evaluation on your actual
> > needs.
>
> I've been doing this sort of thing professionally for 17
> years.  I've been
> using Linux since the boot+root 0.11 combo disks.  I think I know my
> needs :-)

I'm talking more about personal needs vs. business. I too have been at
this a long time and know that often I will romanticize of turning my
home network into a mini version of Google...

> Infrastucture servers should be stable and not need to be rebuilt with
> a new OS just because it's more than a year old.  CentOS provides that
> stability.  Fedora doesn't.

Well then, sounds like your mind is made up already, why ask?

-Ross