[CentOS] Re: Swap Considerations

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Mar 2 16:56:10 UTC 2007

Mike McCarty spake the following on 3/2/2007 8:28 AM:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>>
>> The best swap is un-needed swap. If you need to play with swap for
>> performance
>> reasons, just get some more memory.
>
> I have two reasons. One is that my system is indeed somewhat
> overburdened and needs more RAM, which I don't have funds for
> at the moment. The second reason is for the purposes of experimentation
> itself. "Just get more memory" is not economically feasible,
> and even if I did that, it wouldn't address reason # 2.
>
> Mike
Then I think the best performance option would be a swap partition on a
separate hard drive. Run some tests on the drive to see where it's sweet spot
is in relation to access speed, probably the beginning of the drive, but not
always.
If it is the only partition on the drive, changing the size would be trivial.
You could even have a small swap file on the main drive so you still have swap
available while you play with the testing. You could probably find a used but
small fast scsi drive on ebay fairly cheap. I sometimes see 36 gig drives for
$20 US because they are to small for the original users purposes.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and