[CentOS] Virtualisation

Guillermo Garron guillermo.fedora at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 04:33:55 UTC 2007

On 3/1/07, Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 12:24:59PM -0500, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> > > [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Stephen Harris
>
> > > I'm wondering what people recommend for virtual servers these days?
> > > CentOS 4 with a vserver kernel?  Wait for CentOS 5 and use
> > > Xen?  VMware?
> > > (Vmware is the heavy solution, but it does mean I could host a windows
> > > session if I wanted to).  Or Solaris 10 and zones?
>
> > If it is a home server why not a bare-bones FC6 Xen box running CentOS
> > guests for mail, www, ssh?
>
> Because I don't want to play "patch catchup" when FC6 is no longer
> supported or have to rebuild to FC10 at some later point.  I want a stable
> OS base that will have security patches available for a long time :-)

you are right, I am using this configuration

Centos4.4 with VMWare Server on it, and Debian Etch for my server, it
works great! (this is full Server config, so the Centos4.4 is the
server CD with no X on it)

I also have another configuration in other PC in my home the one I use
for my personal use, and from i am writing this email now.
It has Debian Etch on it and also VMWARE server installed, and CentOS
4.4 Server to run my DNS, email etc. I also use VMware to hold XP and
other Linux Distros i like to test, like DSL, ubuntu, FC6 or even
SUSE.

I recommend you that, but I have never tried XEN, which seems to be
the fashion now :).

If you want to install VMware server on FC6 or on Debian Etch you will
need some tricks that can be found here.

http://linux.go2linux.org/taxonomy/term/8

along with other tips for virtualization.

hope it helps.
regards,
--
Guillermo Garron
"Linux IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."