[CentOS] Kickstart with all the latest updates?

Greg Bailey gbailey at lxpro.com
Mon Mar 5 23:50:26 UTC 2007

mouss wrote:
> Alfred von Campe wrote:
>> On Feb 28, 2007, at 10:14, Jim Perrin wrote:
>>
>>> Without re-rolling the install tree, there isn't much way to
>>> accomplish building the updates into the installer.
>>
>> I guess this confirms that I am not overlooking something obvious,
>> and that what I am trying to do is "hard".
>
> I have a script to do so, except for finding out which rpms are to be
> updated. would the following approach be ok?
>
> - install a system manually, do whatever yum update/remove/install
> - do rpm -qa to get the list of installed rpms
> - if they are on the CD, copy them
> - otherwise, download them
>

>> I'll stick with my current method of doing a "yum -y update" in the
>> kickstart %post, and I may investigate the suggestion of using VMware
>> snapshots (although that doesn't quite accomplish what I am trying to
>> do).

What I've found that works fairly well is to do the following steps:

1.  copy the DVD installation tree from the DVD .iso to a working directory
2.  copy available updated RPMS (typically with "rsync") from a mirror
site into the CentOS/RPMS directory
3.  use the "repomanage.py" utility from the "yum-utils" package to
remove superseded RPMs (with the "-o" argument):

repomanage.py -o <base>/CentOS/RPMS | xargs rm -f

4.  Regenerate the hdlist file on the DVD image (requires the
anaconda-runtime package to be installed):

/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/genhdlist --productpath CentOS <base>

-Greg