[CentOS] RE: MySQL Install error on Centos 4.3

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 12:41:55 UTC 2007

On 3/8/07, Ern jura <exjura at gmail.com> wrote:
> I get the following error on trying to install mysql rpms please any idea
> what might be wrong and how to work around it?
>
> [root at localhost linux 23-02-2007]# rpm -i --nodeps
> mysql-5.0.27-1.el4.centos.i386.rpm

Egads man! BAD USER! Using --nodeps is going to cause you a world of trouble.

> warning: mysql-5.0.27-1.el4.centos.i386.rpm: V3 DSA
> signature: NOKEY, key ID 443e1821
>         file /etc/my.cnf from install of mysql-5.0.27-1.el4.centos conflicts
> with file from package MySQL-server-standard-5.0.27-0.rhel4
<snip more of the same>

Okay. At some point you installed mysql rpms from mysql.com. These are
named differently due to capitalization. Because they're named
differently, but provide the same files, they conflict. You need to
remove all the MySQL packages you have installed. Then you're free to
use THE PACKAGE MANAGER, yum, to install mysql from centosplus.

George Orwell