[CentOS] using true UTC timezone everywhere

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Fri Mar 9 01:47:14 UTC 2007

Stephen Harris wrote:
> Florin Andrei wrote:
>> layer to the PHP page that will display those logs and optionally
>> convert the timestamps to local time on-the-fly, if that's what the user
>> wants.
>
> But then you've just moved the DST issue into your application and not
> really solved much at all :-)

No, that's just to display data, at the last stage, when building the
HTML page, it's a read-only operation and it's just for the internal
staff. If there are some issues at that level, oh well, I can live with
that. :-)

I'm more worried about all kinds of data processing scripts getting
confused by the clock jumps and mashing data to a pulp. Using UTC should
take care of that.
It's really the other clock jump, in autumn, that looks very ugly. The
one in spring (a few days from now in my TZ) might be much less cumbersome.

The other way around would be to backtrack through all corner cases and
add all sorts of conditions to the scripts to avoid the nasty
consequences of the clock going backwards in autumn. But frankly,
migrating to UTC seems easier.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/