[CentOS] Performance problem with CentOS and XFS on EMC

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 22:54:40 UTC 2007

Please don't top post.

On 3/9/07, Mark Hull-Richter <mhull-richter at datallegro.com> wrote:
> We are using the deadline method - cached i/o still runs 1/2 the speed
> of direct.  Also, for current testing, we've been using JFS....

Okay... so you're using 2 different filesystems known to be
unsupported in the upstream OS, and you're wondering why you're
getting bad performance?

While XFS has been backported (great thanks to those responsible and
not to belittle their efforts) and is functional, it's not been
heavily debugged or tested to any great extent beyond 'yep it works
and did not eat my data'.

To futher the issue, vendors supporting RH don't test those alternate
filesystems against RHEL because they're not supported in the distro.

You appear to be using a hammer to pound screws. You may really want
to take a moment to sit back and question the sanity involved in what
you're doing.

One other nit-pick as I'm a little frustrated at this point. PLEASE
PROVIDE ALL RELEVANT DATA to those trying to assist you. If you've
used other elevators, STATE THAT so that we don't waste our effort
telling you something you've already tried.

George Orwell