[CentOS] A working SIP Phone for Centos44?

Theo Band theo.band at xanadu-wireless.com
Sun Mar 11 16:20:59 UTC 2007

John R Pierce wrote:
> Leonardo Vilela Pinheiro wrote:
>>
>> On 3/10/07, *Theo Band* <theo.band at xanadu-wireless.com
>> <mailto:theo.band at xanadu-wireless.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     I try to find a softphone that works with Asterisk and Centos44,
>> does
>>     anyone has a good suggestion or is it better to buy a hardphone?
>>

>> AFAIK, microphone bad quality is more related to the hardware, not
>> the software. My onboard "Intel high definition" sound chipset (ICH7
>> compatible - Intel 945GNT) has a bad output sound, but a much worse
>> input (microphone). I have tried using Windows XP, CentOS, Ubuntu,
>> many softphones (Skype, X-Lite, Ekiga, Twinkle) and definitely the
>> problem is hardware (or all drivers are broken).
>
> the output quality of the Intel branded motherboards I've used has
> been quite good.   Microphone inputs somewhat less so, but still
> plenty good enough for telephony IF your microphone has high enough
> gain.     If someone  is recording high fidelity (music, etc) from
> microphones, I recommend they get an external microphone preamp and
> use the line input on their sound card, or even better a USB
> input/output box.
>
> for voice/telephony, USB headsets are the way to go.
I also have one trust USB headset and it works, except the volume cannot
be adjusted, it's always max (and that's not nice for a headset...).
I have 20 desktops running FC4/Centos44 on AMD based Motherboards. The
sound is onboard using a Nvidia chipset. Using skype and esd/arts the
sound is very good, no problem. As soon as I try any of the softphones
the mic is heavily distorted. I can even hear a hum as if the ground
shielding is not properly connected. Since skype works so nice (using
eithers OSS or alsa) I expect this to be a software based problem not
hardware. And one softphone is working with FC4 (slfphone) but not on
Centos4.4. The mic sound is less compared to skype (there is a hiss,
when pronouncing the letter 's' the sound is distorted) but upto now
that's the only one that is acceptable for only FC4, not Centos :-(

Theo