[CentOS] [CentOS5beta] kernel crash due to a known bug

Akemi Yagi

amyagi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 21:08:33 UTC 2007

After a successful installation of CentOS5 beta, I "successfully" crashed
the system twice already.  This is caused by a known bug in the cifs
kernel module.  The patch became available in January:

http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/sfrench/cifs-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=8e6f195af0e1f226e9b2e0256af8df46adb9d595

FC5 and FC6 are running the patched kernel but, unfortunately, RHEL5 will
not. Steve Dickson of RedHat says:

"I will not be able to get these in the initial RHEL5
release, since that is currently lock down... very tightly...
so I will try to get them in early in the 5.1 pool..."

I am wondering...if it is possible for the CentOS team to apply the patch
ahead of the upstream.  Or I would have to wait for CentOS5.1?  In that
case, I will need to compile the cifs module with the patched file.

Akemi