[CentOS] Re: centos beta 5 right click on desktop [OT]

Radu-Cristian FOTESCU beranger5ca at yahoo.ca
Wed Mar 14 19:48:28 UTC 2007

--- Mark Hull-Richter <mhull-richter at datallegro.com> wrote:
> I used KDE briefly on my SuSE Linux at home, but it kept the CPU so busy
> that everything ran slower than <you know what>.  I'm not seeing that
> problem with gnome, here at work (CentOS 4.4+) or at home (still SuSE
> until I put in the new Mobo/Mem/Video).  Has that changed, or is KDE
> still a CPU/GPU hog?

I have not installed KDE in CentOS, so I couldn't tell about this particular
build. I have not used KDE since June 2005(!)...

...until I tried it again in December 2006 under Slackware 11, and I was
impressed: much more stable than what it was back in 2005. I have tried it in
some other distros too (Pardus 2007, Mandriva 2007 and Flash, and PC-BSD
1.3).

After a year and half of GNOME-only life (except for occasionally
WindowMaker, fluxbox, openbox -- and FVWM in OpenBSD), I have very recently
converted myself to KDE!

The next CentOS install will be KDE. FC6 works very well with KDE, and even
has a right-click menu entry Konsole (not in the vanilla KDE). I suppose
CentOS 5 will do just about the same.

R-C