[CentOS] New System Build

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 14 22:24:15 UTC 2007

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> Slightly OT, but what are the best boards for CentOS (if any) and how do
> ECS boards stack up?
>
> (Yeah, I know they're cheap, but my budget is EXTREMELY limited for home
> machines.  I just got an ECS NFORCE4M-A with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800MHz
> and 2Gb of 800 MHz OCZ memory, plus a geFORCE 7100ds video board cuz the
> ECS doesn't have an AGP slop for my aging current video card.  Comments
> welcome.)

Sounds like you're committed now. The time to ask was before; now your
best guage is experience. If you haven't installed yet, test with a live
distro (is there a CentOS Live? I think there is). Knoppix is good, any
of the ubuntu versions & releases comes as a pair of images/CDs, one is
an installable live system, the other the more tradidional text-mode
install cd.

> Thanks - reply directly if you don't think this belongs here.

It's good to stay here for sanity checking/debating the point and for
those who might find it in the archive. It's annoying to google a
problem, find the question and no answer.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait