[CentOS] Default 4.4 kernel and NTFS?

Scott R Ehrlich

scott at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 15 21:03:58 UTC 2007

I just installed Centos 4.4 and performed a Yum update to freshen all
out-of-date files.

I also have two IDE drives that are NTFS partitioned, but noticed they are not
seen by the kernel.

I visit /usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-42.EL-i686 and copy the Makefile.bak to Makefile
and run make xconfig.    Reviewing the supported filesystems, ntfs is not
selected.   Any reason why not?

What is the easiest and safest way to get ntfs support?  I could just download
and compile the latest kernel, but there must be an easier, and just as safe,
method for installing one simple option.

Thanks.

Scott