[CentOS] Can't create users and groups

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Mar 15 21:49:59 UTC 2007

Mário Gamito wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm making a qmail RPM.
> All goes well, except that the users and groups are not being created.
> And they must be before running "make setup check".
Eh?
Any part of anyone's build process that requires changing the host
system (except for installing stuff needed to build) is broken.

Probably, you shouldn't be running "make setup check" unless you're
actually installing from source.
If you're making the rpm, the onus is on you to ensure that the target
system would pass "make setup check" by writing a script that makes the
necessary changes at install time.

You don't add users at build time, those won't be in the target system
when you install.

If you cannot build as a normal user, you're doing something wrong. I
remember arguing this point with Bill Nottingham years ago, when the
kernel wouldn't build unless by root.

--

Cheers
John