[CentOS] Fun with CentOS and Windows

Winter winter at frostmarch.com
Sat Mar 17 01:58:14 UTC 2007

> Okay, now I'm a little confused.  Is this driver package from nvidia
> going to update my hardware drivers in the kernel also?  Or is that
> needed?  Also, don't I need a better monitor configuration than Generic
> VGA or whatever the default for an unrecognized monitor is?  I could
> probably get away with that as long as the card driver can still do
> higher res than 800x600 and the monitor doesn't balk.
>
> I feel so dumb here - I've been doing this stuff for a long time, but it
> all seems completely new and different enough to be a problem.  (sigh)

Good day and well met, Mark

Don't feel dumb.  Step back, breathe, relax, sip the beverage of your
choice and clear your head.

Download the Linux Nvidia driver from www.nvidia.com.

Bring your system into runlevel 3 by one of the following:

	Typing "/sbin/telinit 3" as root in a terminal window

OR

	As root edit /etc/inittab and change the line "id:5:initdefault:"    to
"id:3:initdefault" and reboot (remember to change it back to 5 when
you're done if you want X to be your boot default).

Once you're in runlevel 3 you need to first install the kernel-devel
package so that the nvidia driver can build kernel modules.

yum install kernel-devel

After that's complete, go to where you downloaded the NVidia driver,
chmod it to be executable, and run the driver file like you would run
any other executable.

It will ask you questions and create a kernel module against the
kernel-devel package.  If all goes well the module will install into the
kernel and create a new xorg.conf file for you.

Reboot again but Boot Into Runlevel 3 Again and manually start the X
server with the startx command, to make sure X will start correctly.  If
there are problems it will be much easier to troubleshoot them in
runlevel 3 as opposed to runlevel 5.

If all checks out, change your inittab default to 5 again (if you
changed it in the first place), reboot one last time, and you're golden.

And then drink some more of that relaxing beverage. :)

W.