[CentOS] CentOS-4.3 Install Fails

William Warren hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com
Sat Mar 17 15:19:59 UTC 2007

i would download and burn 4.4 and try again.

Charles Sliger wrote:
> I’m using the same CD’s that I’ve used to install CentOS on my other
> systems.
>
> After the first failure I had the installation verify the install media
> just in case.  It passed.
>
> I’ve tried the default install (used for all previous installs) and the
> i586 option (after googling). They both fail in the same way.
>
> Here is a transcript of what is output to the screen:
>

> Running anaconda, the CentOS-4 i386 system installer – please wait…
>
> Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
>
> Could not find platform independent libraries <exec_prefix>
>
> Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:exec_prefix]
>
> ‘import site’ failed ; use –v for traceback
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File “/usr/bin/anaconda”, line 28, in ?
>     import sys, os
>
> ImportError: No module named os
>
> install exited abnormally
>
> sending termination signals…done
>
> sending kill signals…done
>
> disabling swap…
>
> unmounting filesystems…
>
>     /mnt/runtime done
>
>     disabling /dev/loop0
>
>     /proc/bus/usb done
>
>     /proc done
>
>     /dev/pts done
>
>     /sys done
>
>     /tmp/ramfs done
>
>     /mnt/source done
>
>     /selinux done
>
> you may safely reboot your system
>

> Motherboard    Intel                  D945GCL
>
> CPU                Intel                  Pentium-4 631
>
> RAM               Aeneon            512 Mb 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM DIMM -
> DDR2 667
>
> PATA Disk      IBM                 40 Gb PATA Disk (DeskStar) – System Disk
>
> SATA Disk      Hitachi              80 Gb SATA Disk (DeskStar) – Backup Disk
>
> Disk Carrier     Vantec             MRK-200ST-BK
>
> Case                Antec               TX1050B
>

> The system disk (IBM 40Gb DeskStar) was used in a previous system ad has
> CentOS-4.3 loaded on it.
>
> It won’t boot in graphical mode due to an X-Windows failure. So I
> decided to re-install.
>
> Any insight would be appreciated.
>

> Charles L. Sliger,  Information Systems Engineer,  chaz at bctonline.com
> <mailto:chaz at bctonline.com>
>
> "No matter where you go, there you are..."

My "Foundation" verse:
Isa 54:17  No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and
every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt
condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their
righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

-- carpe ductum -- "Grab the tape"
CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)

Linux user #322099