[CentOS] system-display-config doesn't run right

Mark Hull-Richter

mhull-richter at datallegro.com
Mon Mar 19 20:13:48 UTC 2007

This might be a gnome problem, but....

I've noticed that, on occasion (frequently), when I try to look at or
modify my display configuration, the Applications->System
Settings->Display doesn't come up.  It asks for the root password, which
I give it, and then nothing.

I ran system-config-display form the command line, but it dies thus:

[root at mhullrichter mhr]# system-config-display

* no cardMem, assuming 8192

* no cardMem, assuming 8192

Trying with card: VESA driver (generic)

* no cardMem, assuming 8192

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/usr/share/system-config-display/xconf.py", line 380, in ?

    dialog = xConfigDialog.XConfigDialog(hardware_state, xconfig,
rhpl.videocard.VideoCardInfo())

  File "/usr/share/system-config-display/xConfigDialog.py", line 566, in
__init__

self.xml.get_widget("secondMonitorLabel").set_text(monitor_list[1].model
name)

TypeError: GtkLabel.set_text() argument 1 must be string, not None

I seem to be missing an argument from the call, but I'm not sure what
goes there, and even so, when I run it from the menu, shouldn't it have
the right data and run?

Thanks.

Mark Hull-Richter         Linux Kernel Engineer
(949) 680-3082 - Office     (949) 680-3001 - Fax     (949) 632-8403 -
Mobile
mhull-richter at datallegro.com <mailto:mhull-richter at datallegro.com>
www.datallegro.com <http://www.datallegro.com>
85 Enterprise, 2nd Floor, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656