[CentOS] phpMyAdmin high Memory usage

Matthew Martz mdmartz at gflug.net
Tue Mar 20 00:03:35 UTC 2007

>> The databases appear to be about 450MB-600MB.
>
> Not bad, but what operation were you performing on the database at the
> time? complex queries with joins and such will drive memory/processor
> usage up.

I was selecting a database from the drop down menu.

>> On a side note I had a requirement from the dev group here to set php to
>> maximum memory usage of 1GB due to the large files that are being parsed
>
> Holy CRAP that's huge. Is this a real need, or is this just the dev
> group wanting to not fix a problem? This seems like it could very
> quickly get out of hand if more than a user or two decide to kick off
> similar processes.

I have no idea where the file comes from but it is a 600-800MB delimited
txt document.  They use a web page to parse the file and create an Excel
spread sheet.

I don't know what the txt file contains or why they need it converted to xls.

In any case I am told to make the system capable of meeting the dev teams
needs.

--
Matthew Martz
CentOS Mirror Admin