[CentOS] HP DL585 G2 -- no nics

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Tue Mar 20 06:33:12 UTC 2007

John R Pierce wrote:
> John Hinton wrote:
>>

>> Have you run the HP/Compaq SmartStart CD? It lets you configure
>> system BIOSs. If this was a used machine, it is possible that the
>> previous owner may have disabled the onboard nics.. perhaps to run
>> some other hardware in its place.
>>
>> The CDs are available at hp.com. Try to pick one that is dated about
>> the same as the machine you are working with, or you might waste a
>> lot of download time to find the version is too new.
>

> fyi, the DL585 G2 is quite new.
OK, so get the latest SmartStart.. I still have to wonder if the NICs
are disabled in bios.

I did a check on one of my DL380G3s and it seems that they at least have
a lower number/rev of eth controllers.

02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5703X
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 02)
02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5703X
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 02)

So I can't really help by saying that they should work out of the box.

> I have two DL585 running quad opteron 850 (single core 2.4Ghz), one is
> running RHEL3, the other RHEL4, both x86_64, I don't recall havinng to
> install any special drivers or anything.
>
> However, the G2 is the 2nd generation of this 4-socket server, and
> likely has newer NICs.   HP should have RHEL4 drivers which should
> work just fine with CentOS4 kernels..  I find HPs support of Linux is
> much better than that other major vendor of x86 hardware with the 4
> letter name.

I shied away from four letter words, in order to not be uttering four
letter words... ;) But again, no first hand experience there. I can say
that I am really happy with most compaq servers. I will never buy
another DL360.. had bad luck there before.. talked to a fellow today
that just got in 150 of them and about one in five have power supply fan
problems.. just like the one I had. He is scared to death that they will
be like what happened with mine and two others of almost the same
vintage. They all had power supply fan problems within two weeks of the
same period from manufacturer date. If he starts losing 150 servers in a
two week period........... YUCK!!!

Good luck with figuring it out.

Best,
John Hinton