[CentOS] Need help in securing maildir so that root usershouldnot able to read anyother user's mail

Jeff Lasman blists at nobaloney.net
Tue Mar 20 15:48:50 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 20 March 2007 06:45 am, Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:

> You cannot just go to single user mode because going
> to single user normally requires you to enter the root password.

I can't test now; I don't have a local CentOS system, but I don't
remember ever needing a password to get into single mode on any Linux
system.  Am I right, or is my brain falling apart?

> Of course if access to the machine is not secure, you have to
> talk about encrypting the contents with passwords only the
> users have.

I can't speak for the OP but our machines are secure; to get to them you
need my my access card, my lock combination, and my hand <smile>. But
if the machines aren't physically secure it's quite easy to get into
them without a password.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, Nobaloney Internet Services
P.O. Box 52200, Riverside, CA  92517