[CentOS] A few issues

Winter winter at frostmarch.com
Wed Mar 21 00:58:40 UTC 2007

Hail and well met, Mark

> 1)       Is this the right place for kernel internals questions?

I have no idea...but I'll try to answer your questions anyway.  If I get
scolded, so be it.

> 2)       I noticed this morning that my GLMatrix screensaver is not
> working any more.

Open up a terminal window while X is running and type:

/usr/bin/glxinfo | grep direct

In a kind world, the response will be "direct rendering:  Yes".  If you
don't get that response then possibly your driver is b0rked again or
there's a problem in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.  Perhaps you could
run /usr/sbin/nvidia-xconfig.

> 3)       Now that I mention it, I’m still having trouble running the
> display configuration settings applet (it comes and asks for the root
> password, then disappears).  What’s up with that?  This happens here at
> work and also at home….

I think the command you can use in the terminal is
/usr/sbin/nvidia-settings.  It might give you an error report.

> 4)       With but one partition left to convert from NTFS to ext3, this
> one had to be the difficult one.  It’s my old C: partition from which I
> used to boot Windows.  Three times now, with cp and tar, it has hung
> somewhere in the Documents and Settings directory and nothing brings it
> back.

I got nothin'.  :(

Give cpio a shot?

What's your tar command?