[CentOS] Re: centos 4.4 dns problem -

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 01:26:07 UTC 2007

On 21/03/07, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:
> Can I just copy/paste between the files to make them the same?

I'd start by getting the client resolver working, then move on to
caching-nameserver or bind/bind-chroot if needed.

The client resolver is what deals with the initial name resolution, by
a browser or an nslookup or dig from the command line, for example.
Client lookups are controlled by /etc/resolv.conf and
/etc/nsswitch.conf.

Assuming IP routing works and you can, for example, ping stuff by IP
as you've said you can then the next step would be to add a nameserver
(or nameservers) to /etc/resolv.conf with...

nameserver XXX.XXX.XXX.XX1
nameserver XXX.XXX.XXX.XX2

where XXX.XXX.XXX.XX1/2 are the IPs of your ISPs nameservers. Next
stop iptables, stop named and/or the caching nameserver, just to make
sure.

# service iptables stop
# service named stop

Then try

$ dig www.google.com
$ dig www.yahoo.com

If that doesn't work then there's something lower level weird going on
and I think you'd just could the situation if you start messing with
named without needing it.

Will.