[CentOS] Re: centos 4.4 dns problem -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed Mar 21 08:36:35 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> Is there some reason to think that a working nameserver exists at
>>> the address(es) in your resolv.conf?
>>>
>> Yes definitely, I've used the same list of nameservers on all my
>> computers!
>
> Can you test them from something else now?  (And I thought you said in
> another message there was only one nameserver in your resolv.conf).
Initially I had set up two "opendns" servers that I use on this computer
as well as the ISP's suggested server, and here I also use
caching-nameserver.  All of this an attempt to reduce the effect of
system delays inherent with this satellite ISP.  Anyway I reduced
resolv.conf to just the ISP's dns when I began to recognize this problem.

>> What has me puzzled is should Centos 4.4 not work as installed from
>> the CD's?
>
> Yes, you are the first to mention a problem like this.  That's why no
> one is jumping in with an obvious solution.  I'm not sure if I've
> installed from 4.4 but I'm sure others have and I've upgraded through
> all the versions.  None had a problem with the dns resolver - that's
> not something you could overlook.

Ok, knowing that I think I will reinstall.  I am aware of possible
problems and will use extra care in my responses to the install menu items.

I thank everyone for their suggestions and help.

Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia