[CentOS] Re: centos 4.4 dns problem -

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Wed Mar 21 13:32:27 UTC 2007

In article <460131B0.5030706 at wildblue.net>,
Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:
> Tony Mountifield wrote:
> > So this isn't a problem - you don't need named running on the box unless
> > you want to support having "nameserver 127.0.0.1" in your resolv.conf
> >
> Yes I want the caching-nameserver running and thought it would result
> from the install but that didn't happen?

You need to start named running:

root# service named start

And then tell the system to start named automatically on future boots:

root# chkconfig named on

Then provided the caching-nameserver package is installed, you just
take out the external nameserver lines from /etc/resolv.conf (else you
won't get the benefit of caching nameserver) and replace them with the
single line "nameserver 127.0.0.1".

Cheers
Tony
--