(WAS:Re: [CentOS] apache error)

Mark Quitoriano

markquitoriano at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 01:01:58 UTC 2007

On 3/22/07, Karl R. Balsmeier <karl at klxsystems.net> wrote:

> Mark Quitoriano wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > i restarted my apache and now im getting this error.
> >
> > Stopping httpd:                                            [FAILED]
> > Starting httpd: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind
> > to address [::]:80
> > no listening sockets available, shutting down
> > Unable to open logs
> >                                                            [FAILED]
>
> it's saying it thinks port 80 is taken.  lsof is a good program, I
> forget it it's netstat or another that could show you active connections
> to port 80.
>
> which version of apache are you running, is that apache the centos
> version or the apache.org source, what OS version of Centos, and can you
> run ps ax | grep httpd and see if there's another instance of apache
> running.
>
> also do an ls -al /usr/local/apache/logs and/or /var/local/apache/logs
> depending on where you keep these...
>
> yum install multitail will give you a nice program where you can type:
>
> multitail -s 2 /var/log/messages /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log
> /usr/local/apache/logs/access_log

great program! thanks!

it'll display all your logs in real time, and you can use another window
> (or a program like screen) to stop/start apache, and see what it's
> crying about.
>
> If the server is new, maybe yum remove httpd, reboot, yum install httpd,
> your call.

anyway i found the problem. but still no solution. when i do this commands

# ls -l
total 8
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         4096 May 22  2006 conf
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         4096 May 22  2006 conf.d
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           19 May  7  2006 logs ->
../../var/log/httpd
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           27 May  7  2006 modules ->
../../usr/lib/httpd/modules
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           13 May  7  2006 run -> ../../var/run

the symlink of logs modules run are all in red. I can view the folders and
files on those folders in symlink. What causing the problem? my HDD still
have space.

/dev/sda2             9.7G  806M  8.4G   9% /
/dev/sda1              99M   14M   80M  15% /boot
none                  2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda3              97G  226M   92G   1% /opt
/dev/sda6             166G   33G  125G  21% /var