[CentOS] Will Firefox 2.X be included/supported in CentOS 5?

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Thu Mar 22 04:57:51 UTC 2007

Alfred von Campe <alfred at 110.net> wrote:

> I know this mostly depends on what is/will be done upstream, but with
> the recent announcement that Firefox 1.5.X will only receive updates
> until April 24, 2007, is Firefox 2.X in CentOS' future?
>
> Alfred
As of beta 2 the answer seems to be "no":

[dave at fold ~]# rpm -q firefox
firefox-1.5.0.8-1.el5.centos.1
[dave at fold ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 4.92 (Beta)

This was discussed extensively on the fedora list.  Red Hat will
continue to provide updates to Firefox 1.5 as per their support
agreement for RHEL.  RH *may* choose to upgrade RHEL 5 to Firefox 2.0
but whatever version is the official version will be supported as long
as the RHEL release is supported.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce