[CentOS] segfaults with 8 gig of ram

tblader tblader at flambeau.com
Thu Mar 22 13:38:47 UTC 2007

Peter Kjellstrom wrote:
> On Thursday 22 March 2007, tblader wrote:
>> Hello All.
>> I have five Centos 4.4 x86_64 (amd fx-62) boxes with
>> 4 gig of Corsair dual channel ram running
>> kernel 2.6.9-42.0.10.EL (smp).
>>
>> The sixth box is the same except for video card and ram.
>
> Have you tried to switch memory modules between two of your machines? ..would
> be interesting to see if the problem follows that memory or stays with the
> box.
>
>> It is using 8gig of GSkill dual channel ram and has
>> a very cheap ATI video card in it.
>
> Do you use fglrx (ati's kernel module). If so, does it die even if you don't
> load it?

I have not swapped memory modules for the Corsair ones yet
however I have pulled one stick of the Gskill ram out to leave
6 gig now.  Will see if I can reproduce the lockup with the
6 gig and keep removing ram until something changes.  I can
swap out the GSkill for the corsair during the weekend as
the other boxes are in use during the day.

I have left the X configuration as default.  xorg.conf shows
vesa mode and the following modules (probably only used when
vncserver is running on localhost?):

Section "Module"
         Load  "dbe"
         Load  "extmod"
         Load  "fbdevhw"
         Load  "glx"
         Load  "record"
         Load  "freetype"
         Load  "type1"
         Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard0"
         Driver      "vesa"
         VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
         BoardName   "VESA driver (generic)"
EndSection

Flambeau Inc. Technology Center - Baraboo, WI
Email    : tblader at flambeau.com
Keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu KeyID: 0x00E9EC2C