[CentOS] Re: segfaults with 8 gig of ram

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Mar 22 17:16:42 UTC 2007

tblader spake the following on 3/22/2007 9:01 AM:
> Hi All,
> Just a follow up.  Pulling out one stick (2 gig) of the 8 seems to
> fix the problem.
>
> I ran into the most problems while installing Sun's Java
> (jre-1_5_0_11-linux-i586.bin) while this is unzipping into /usr/local is
> when
> things consistently lock up.    This is what I've been using to test
> things.
> There is sufficient disk space in the partition.
>
> I bypassed the prompt during the install and made a loop that removes
> the jre1.5.0_11 directory and then just does sh -x on the
> jre-1_5_0_11-linux-i586.bin.  Leaving this run will lock the machine within
> a couple loops.  Removing 1 stick of ram , the loop continues to run at
> least for 15 minutes before I terminated it.
>
> I've moved the ram around in different slots to see if it made a
> difference,
> as well as removed different single sticks to test.   It seems the only
> thing
> that improves stability is to remove a single stick out of either the
> channel
> A or channel B slots.
>
> On the last test with all 4 sticks in, this message was printed to my ssh
> session right before hurling.
>
> oas kernel: Assertion failure in __journal_temp_unlink_buffer() at
> fs/jbd/transaction.c:1521: "jbd_is_locked_bh_state(bh)"
>
> Hopefully this all makes sense to someone more knowlegeable than I.
>
> Thomas

Maybe this MOBO is just choking on the combination of the type and quantity of
ram. Maybe the ram timing is just slightly under spec, and pulling one stick
puts the board into single channel mode. Have you tried pulling a stick from
the other channel also, so the board goes back into dual-channel mode, and
testing again? You could also see if you can change the memory timing slightly
with the 8 gigs of ram. See if the bios will let you turn off SPD mode and let
you set timings manually.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and