[CentOS] Consolidating LVM volumes..

WipeOut

wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Mar 23 10:25:31 UTC 2007

Hi,

Something I haven't done before is reduce the number of volumes on my
server.. Here is my current disk setup..

[root at server1 /]# df -h
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-RootVol00
                        15G  1.5G   13G  11% /
/dev/md0              190M   42M  139M  24% /boot
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-DataVol00
                        39G   16G   22G  42% /data
none                  157M     0  157M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-HomeVol00
                        77G   58G   15G  80% /home
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-VarVol00
                        16G  382M   15G   3% /var

Rather than try and reduce the size of the VarVol00 volume to make more
unallocated space which I have heard is a little dangerous.. I would
like to get rid of the VarVol00 and have the /var directory on the
RootVol00 volume.. Then I can allocate some of the free space to
HomeVol00 which is filling up..

So how do I do this?

Do I simply copy /var to /var2 and then edit the /etc/fstab file to
remove the line that mounts VarVol00??

Then at what point and how do I rename /var2 to /var to get it all
working as normal again?

Should this all be done in "single" mode?

As you can see I am really not sure about this procedure so any help or
step by step instructions for be great..

Thanks..