[CentOS] TightVNC controlling a Mac OSX 10.4.9.

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Mar 23 12:40:03 UTC 2007

Justin Cataldo wrote:
> Ah I see.  Well that should work.  It's obviously connecting since you get
> the dot.
>
> I've had similar issues with TightVNC before.  It sits for ages saying
> it is
> doing the initial screen draw, but never connects.
>
> I'd suggest trying RealVNC (realvnc.com).
>
> *VNC Free Edition for Linux (x86)
> http://www.realvnc.com/cgi-bin/download.cgi

The version RH ships does not work -
[summer at bilby ~]$ vncviewer emu

VNC viewer for X version 4.0 - built Mar 31 2005 17:48:27
Copyright (C) 2002-2004 RealVNC Ltd.
See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.

Fri Mar 23 21:09:18 2007
  CConn:       connected to host emu port 5900
  CConnection: Server supports RFB protocol version 3.889
  CConnection: Using RFB protocol version 3.8

Fri Mar 23 21:09:23 2007
  TXImage:     Using default colormap and visual, TrueColor, depth 16.
  CConn:       Using pixel format depth 6 (8bpp) rgb222
  CConn:       Using ZRLE encoding

Fri Mar 23 21:09:24 2007
  CConn:       Throughput 5125 kbit/s - changing to hextile encoding
  CConn:       Throughput 5125 kbit/s - changing to full colour
  CConn:       Using pixel format depth 16 (16bpp) little-endian rgb565
  CConn:       Using hextile encoding
unknown message type 255
  main:        unknown message type
[summer at bilby ~]$

However, I'm getting along just swimmingly with the TightVND included in
OpenSUSE.

--

Cheers
John