[CentOS] Consolidating LVM volumes..

Steven Vishoot sir_funzone at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 23 16:52:55 UTC 2007

--- WipeOut <wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Wojtek.Pilorz wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Theo Band wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> To my understanding sometimes it is possible to
> resize live ext3
> >> filesystems. (No experience myself). In that case
> you could simply do
> >> something like this:
> >>
> >> resize2fs /dev/VolGroup00/VarVol00 2G
> >> lvreduce -L2G /dev/VolGroup00/VarVol00
> >>
> >> I would still prefer to do this when the disk is
> unmounted and checked
> >> (e2fsck -f /dev/VolGroup00/VarVol00). But in that
> case you of course get
> >> rid of the partition VarVol00 anyhow.
> >>
> >> Theo
> >
> > Last time I tried reducing ext3 was only possible
> after
> > umount and e2fsck -f;
> >
> > Enlarging ext3 was generally possible on mounted
> system, unless
> > you want to enlarge past some limit (depending on
> how fs was created); in that case
> > umount and e2fsck is also needed.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Wojtek
> >

> Everything I have read said that reducing an LVM
> volume was dangerous
> because you have to reduce the file system first and
> that has issues of
> its own..
>
> I would rather just migrate the data off the one
> volume to another then
> all I have to do is extend the volumes which works
> fairly easily..

what is the reason you want to go this direction?
wouldn't it be easier to add another disk and allocate
the space on that instead of trying to move stuff
around and delete other stuff. To me this approach
would be less work?

Steven

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it said 'Requires Windows or better'. So I installed Linux."