[CentOS] Re: Samba config for Windows on VMWare

Mark Hull-Richter mhull-richter at datallegro.com
Fri Mar 23 20:24:31 UTC 2007

If I open my entire network, go to Micro$oft networks, Workgroup and
click on my samba server, I get this:

If I go to map the network drive, when I get to the server, it grays out
the OK button and shows nothing.

If I map it directly, like \\mhullrichter\homes, I get this:

I also tried \\mhullrichter\mark, which is works with smbclient on the
host itself (but not from Windows), I get this:

It's like the host is visible, but not connectible.

PS: Here is what my smb.conf file now looks like, per Bart's suggestion
(almost):

[root at mhullrichter samba]# cat smb.conf
# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        server string = CentOS Samba Server
        security = SHARE
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        dns proxy = No
        template shell = /bin/false
        password server = None
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        winbind use default domain = no
        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
        idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
        cups options = raw

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[public]
        comment = Data
        path = /home/mark
        force user = mark
        force group = users
        read only = No
        guest ok = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

I don't really care about the printers (they actually work better from
the Windows side), but this is annoying.  I must be overlooking
something.  BTW, I also added user mark to the smbusers file, so I'm
lost here....