[CentOS] Complex sendmail alias handling.

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Mar 23 20:51:08 UTC 2007

Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> From: John Plemons Sent: March 23, 2007 12:28
>
>> OK, why not just add a couple more scripts to the cron job you have
>> now.  One for 0600 to 0800 aliases, then run the 0800 to 1600 version,
>> then next 1600 to 1800 version, but you should still be able to do it
>> in
>> the same manor you are handling it in already...  Adding 2 more support
>> files should get it done, just use cron to make live as needed...
>>

> Hi John:
>
> Yes I know I can do that (and probably will for now) but it not quite
> as simple as adding 2 new files. All the work schedules do not coincide
> with each other which means I will probably be adding 4 or more files
> to the mix and more crontab entries as well. When you consider adding
> more people or having them change shifts for some reason it gets even
> worse. The more complex the setup the less flexible and the more likely
> there will be errors.
>
> I really thought there might be soemthing out there like what I need.

alias them to a dedicated account, in said dedicated account use a
procmail recipe that checks some kind of active duty roster and forward
copies of the message to whomever is signed in on active duty.   combine
this with a punch-in/punch-out type application, perhaps using a
webpage, where each support person punchs in when on active duty.    if
noone is listed as 'active', default to forwarding to the 'normal' folks
or whatever.

seems like what you REALLY should be doing is having these emails going
into a ticket tracking system, such as Remedy, which in turn sends out
notifications to the assigned support person etc etc.