[CentOS] Samba config for Windows on VMWare

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Mar 23 21:28:21 UTC 2007

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:

> I know this is a little off topic (not as usual, dammit!), but I
> figure at least one of y’all can handle this one.
>
> I have tried to configure my CentOS4.4 Plus desktop for samba sharing
> with the VMWare Windows that runs on it. However, no matter what I’ve
> done so far, I can’t get the Windows to recognize this machine as a
> legitimate network destination.
>
> Here’s my samba config file:
>
> [root at mhullrichter shared]# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
>
> # Global parameters
>
> [global]
>
> server string = Samba Server
>
> security = SHARE

security=SHARE is for old school win95 networks, with global passwords
on each share, I'd avoid that entirely.

use `security=USER`, then read up on smbpasswd. create linux user
accounts for each Windows user (same username as they log onto Windows
with), then use smbpasswd to set their Samba password to match their
Windows login password. Samba can't use their Linux password as SMB
networking and Linux use completely different password hashes.