[CentOS] Binding an ip address to an username with SQUID passwod file

Indunil Jayasooriya

indunil75 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 06:36:34 UTC 2007

Hi List,

I want to bind an ip address to a username with squid by using squid
password file.

I am using ncsa_auth programme. Below are line that I have added to
squid.conf file.

auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/ncsa_auth /etc/squid/squid_passwd
auth_param basic children 5
auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server
auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours
auth_param basic casesensitive off

acl ncsa_users proxy_auth REQUIRED
http_access allow ncsa_users

We are currently browsing internet with usernames and passwords. But the
problem is a user can access internet from all the workstation with his
username and password. I do not need it. I only want a user to access
internet from his machine.

Solution to that is binding an ip address to an username. Then, A user can
access internet from that particular ip.

I searche a lot from the internet. I found some info. I tried a lot. But I
still have not been able to solve this issue.

Some info I found from the Internet says perl script can do it.

pls see below ulrs for it.

http://iits.uap.edu.ph/~jpira/footnotes/squid.html<http://iits.uap.edu.ph/%7Ejpira/footnotes/squid.html>

http://www.visolve.com/squid/squid30/externalsupport.php

Pls note that I am not a programmer. So I do not know any perl nor do I know
any python stuff.

So I do not want to go with above urls.

But, I found an easy method from squid list. Pls see below URLS .

http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200208/0033.html

http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200208/0029.html

These above URLS are fine for me. The above URLS say,

put the IP add in squid passwd

I did it. Pls see below for my squid_passwd file.

[root at worldnet ~]# cat /etc/squid/squid_passwd
indunil:TeiAQ3uqXDQNg:192.168.101.25
www:Oi4THedCcN0nQ
web:qsTaT6v2loN5g

It has bound user indunil to ip address 192.168.101.25 .

But user indunil still can access internet from any ip . Why is that? Where
did I go wrong?

 I think that it is an easy task.

Pls help me to solve this issue. It is urgent.

--
Thank you
Indunil Jayasooriya