[CentOS] Video drivers, bittorrent and Centos 5?

Scott R Ehrlich

scott at MIT.EDU
Sat Mar 24 15:22:28 UTC 2007

At home I have CentOS 4.4 running on a Compaq Presario with an ATI Radeon 200G
video chipset.    Naturally, the linux driver support ATI offers are pretty
crappy, thus many postings to many web sites on problems and possible
resolutions.

I forget where, and natually I didn't bookmark it, but there was one web site
that provided the exact working solution.   From then on, my video support
worked flawlessly.

Now, with CentOS 5 coming out, what support will there be for this type of card?

My installation came from a bittorrent DVD.   The problem I have with this
method is how trustworthy seeded sites are for the download?   If I am
downloading 4, 5, or 6 CDs from a .gov, .mil, or .edu site, I feel it will be
much more trustworthy.   Granted, I could also outright pay for media from the
CentOS organization.

If someone can convince me that bittorrent is a 100% safe way to retrieve a copy
of the OS with no tampering, then I'll feel more comfortable.   Otherwise, I
will want to completely redo my machine with CentOS 5, from partitioning on up.

Thanks for any feedback/insights.

Scott