[CentOS] Re: segfaults with 8 gig of ram

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Mar 24 19:21:07 UTC 2007

Scott Silva wrote:
> I bet the bios of the board is either not honoring the SPD settings of the
> memory, or the memory just isn't a good match for the board.

or, the SPD data is bogus or overly optimistic, often a issue with
offbrand memory.

re: motherboard recommended memory, the taiwanese mobo makers (asus,
gigabyte, abit, etc etc) rarely even have any such recommendations
published.  I usually only find that sort of data on the US brands
(Intel, SuperMicro, Tyan, and so forth), and, of course, the major
server makers like IBM, HP, Dell, etc. only 'recommend' their own
memory, which while expensive, is covered by factory service and
warranty, and will almost certainly meet the systems specifications and
requirements.

Things like motherboards are sold as OEM components, and it is assumed
that the OEM will do the testing and qualification.

That all said, with AMD Athlon 64 and Opteron CPUs, the memory
controller is in the CPU chip, not the chipset, so all the motherboard
contributes is the board layout and DIMM sockets, and the BIOS
configured memory timings...    So, going with memory thats been
certified by AMD is probably a good idea.

Unluckily, it doesn't appear AMD has much of a memory compatability
program....  From their website,
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_9460%5E9513,00.html

*    AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor Family Memory Guidelines*

    In our ongoing efforts to support industry standards, AMD Athlon™ 64
processor-based
    platforms may be designed to leverage industry standard DDR
unbuffered DIMMs. An
    independent testing company, Computer Memory Test Labs (CMTL), has
conducted memory
    compatibility testing. CMTL is an independent test facility and is
able to test RAM modules
    from different module suppliers. System builders should access the
CMTL web site a
    www.cmtlabs.com <http://www.cmtlabs.com> and view the recommended
memory module list for the specific motherboard
    manufacturer and motherboard model.

*    Note*: The CMTL website is provided for informational purposes
only, and AMD recommends
    that a system builder conduct its own testing and validation to
confirm that the memory modules
    are suitable for its systems.