[CentOS] Centos 4.4 Problems not i586 compatible

junk at realtechtalk.com junk at realtechtalk.com
Sun Mar 25 02:05:49 UTC 2007

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> junk at realtechtalk.com wrote:
>> I promise not to top post anymore :)
>
> Excellent!
>
>> Do you know why the problem I'm describing could be happening?
>
> its all assumption at this stage since you've not really said what
> breaks or how it does not work
>
>> All other packages I have are i386.
>> I've taken the binary from bash i386 and I did ldd
>> I copied all relevant files to the livecd but it only works on i686.
>
> What do you really mean by 'it only works with i686' - which part of
> the livecd is failing ? how did you create this livecd ? what kernel
> and glibc / init process are you using etc ?
>
> - KB

Hi KB

What I've done is taken a generic 2.6.18.3 Kernel and compiled with i386
support.
All I have on the livecd now since I started from scratch is a copy of
the dev entries in centos.

All the disc does is run init and load bash.  The init itself is a bash
script which just tells /bin/bash to execute
I have all the .so files as mentioned in my previous e-mails copied to
the relevant places.

When I run the disc on any i686 machine it works but if I take it to an
i586 it halts after the kernel loads.
There is no error message, I can type things but bash never actually
executed (remember this disc works fine and loads bash like it should on
an i686 machine).

I am using Centos 4.4 Server CD, it comes standard with an i686 glibc
installed but I downloaded *glibc.i386
2.3.4-2.25
*and run "rpm -Uvh glibc-rpm.name --force" to install it over top of
glibc.i686

I hope that explains it.  The bottom line is the disc works on any i686
machine but not an i386.
I almost wonder if somehow some of the i386 glibc .so's are not i386 as
it claims?

Thanks again!