[CentOS] Any compelling reasons to upgrade to 5

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 04:09:15 UTC 2007

On 3/25/07, Preston Crawford <me at prestoncrawford.com> wrote:
> I was talking about maybe going to
> SATA and using that as an excuse to do a smooth upgrade (install to the
> SATA drive and keep my old install on the IDE drives and slowly move
> config and files over) and she said she liked it the way it was.

I typically buy a new drive, install the newer OS to that, and set up
a vmware instance pointed at the raw disks with the old install on it,
so I can boot up the old system at the same time as the new one if
necessary.  Often I get a newer/faster CPU at the same time, so the
old system still works about as well as it ever did even under
virtualization (sometimes it even gets faster).

I'm looking forward to finding out whether Xen makes this possible in
CentOS 5 without VMware.