[CentOS] Question about rebooting and iptables rules persisting

Roy Ong centos-list at royong.com
Tue Mar 27 00:50:02 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 08:22 +0800, Feizhou wrote:

> >> service iptables save
> >
> > I did that and it doesn't help. Do you think it has to do with the order
> > in which things happen? i.e. smb starting up after iptables? It would seem
> > other people would have that problem, though, wouldn't they?
>
> Could you post the contents of /etc/sysconfig/iptables after a service
> iptables save?

If guess if you are thinking that the order of starting up could be the
cause of it, the it might be easier if you do a simple hack as follows -
its not the safest way, but heck, I'm hoping it will work for you :)

	# iptables -F
	# iptables -Z
	# service iptables save
	# chkconfig iptables on

Put all your iptables rules into a script file
	# vi /root/myfirewall.sh
		#!/bin/bash
		IPTABLES=/sbin/iptables
		$IPTABLES -F
		$IPTABLES -Z
		$IPTABLES -A INPUT -s 192.168.1.1 -j ACCEPT
			<or whatever needs to be done>
			<save and exit>
	# chmod 700 /root/myfirewall.sh

Add the script file into rc.local
	# echo "/root/myfirewall.sh" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Every time upon reboot, the rc.local file gets called right at the last
and in that sequence your /root/myfirewall.sh gets called just before
the system is ready to accept logins. All other services should have
been up and running long before the /root/myfirewall.sh gets called.