[CentOS] Re: tzdata update, but no announcement?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Mar 29 06:33:39 UTC 2007

Matthew Miller wrote:

>>btw I just discovered my FC6 test system busily trying to update itself,
>>without my consent.
>

> Yes, thank goodness. Updates are essential. There's two cases: informed,
> active sysadmin; vs. not paying attention.

Bloody stupid. What is the volume of updates required to go from fresh
install to fully up2date? About the size of the original install I suspect.

How long to download through my modem, through which I already download
  around a Gbyte/month?

It's even sillier when you consider this:
[summer at bilby ~]$ du -sh
/net/ns/var/local/mirrors/linux/Fedora/6/updates/i386/
2.3G    /net/ns/var/local/mirrors/linux/Fedora/6/updates/i386/
[summer at bilby ~]$

> With updates off by default, the informed sysadmin may or may not turn them
> on -- but they're the case which is most likely to apply security updates
> quickly when needed. The other case ends up with no updates. This issue
> affects the rest of us in the form of botnets and spam.
>
> Updates automatically = if you don't like it, you can turn 'em off. If you
> don't care, you've got a minimal level of protection.

It would be nice to be asked. You can't know my circumstances.
Unavailabiltity of broadband within sight of the Perth CBD is an
extremely sore point round here.

>>My consent would certainly be withheld, there's no way I can track FC
>>updates through a modem, especially with all the stuff I do want.
>>FC6 may well find itself replaced with Debian.
>

> I think you'll find the current popular fanboy "ooh I'm going to leave
> threat distribution to be Ubuntu". Two years ago, Gentoo, but apparently
> that's passé now.

Que?

fwiw I run FC{5,6}, Kubuntu, OpenSUSE 10.2, Debian (several, arguably
the most important is keeping the ungodly the right side of my modem).

FC6 would hav died a couple of hours ago, but I got a little fearful
when Debian's proposed usage of the second drive is "FREE SPACE." I'd
rather "untouched."

--

Cheers
John